Sunday, December 23, 2007

My Holiday Wish - Heal Fast Tony Pedeferri!

Photo: Mitch Thrower, David Gonzales, Tony Pedeferri

I received this letter today from my great friend David Gonzales (middle of the photo above) and my Holiday wish is now for Tony Pedeferri, (on the right in the photo above) to heal fast and to be ready for next year's Ironman Hawaii. You can do it Tony! Here is the letter Dave sent me...
-Mitch
-----------------------

Hello Everyone,

Please forgive this mass mailing, but I need your help. A friend of mine, CHP Officer Tony Pedeferri, assigned out of the Ventura (CA) office, was severely injured in an accident on Wednesday evening (12/19). He is in critical condition, on a ventilator, and as I write this is experiencing paralysis from the chest down due to major trauma to his neck and thoracic spine.

The good news is that his spinal cord was not severed, and the doctors hope that the paralysis will be temporary, due to post-surgical swelling and bruising, but it is too early to tell. Tony is a three time finisher of Ironman Hawaii, having competed there just last October. He is only 36 years old, married, and the father of two young children.

I've known Tony for many years, and he is a stellar family man, officer and triathlete. He was injured after he made a traffic stop on the highway, and the car he stopped was struck from behind by an impaired driver, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. The force of the collision killed the person Tony had stopped, and propelled Tony nearly 80 feet into the bushes.

I am asking for your help, large or small. As you can imagine, Tony's family is experiencing financial hardship with expenses not covered by insurance or worker's compensation. His family has come to his bedside to be with him and his wife Carrie at this most difficult time. Please consider making a donation to the fund set up by the Ventura Office of the California Highway Patrol.

You can mail your check, payable to "765 Squad," with the notation "Ofc. Pedefferi Fund" in the memo line to:

California Highway Patrol
Ventura Office
Attention: Officer Matt Winter

4656 Valentine Road

Ventura, CA 93003

I know that money is tight at this time of year, but please consider making a donation. Please keep Tony and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

With Appreciation,
Dave G

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found this website tonight, almost 9 months after my injury. I have a website set up www.pedeferri.com that chronicles my situation. Contrary to the first email from Dave, my spinal chord is severed, so I will never be on two feet again. I am always positive and looking forward to my everyday challenges.